Unity of Buffalo Makes a Difference in Our Community
We are members of two organizations that allow us to partner with other congregations for the greater good of our Western New York community:
- The Network of Religious Communities – is an organization of denominations, congregations and religious organizations located in our region. We are Baha’I, Buddhist, Christian (Orthodox, Protestant, Roman Catholic), Hindu, Jewish, Muslim, Sikh and Unitarian.
The purposes of the Network are to facilitate communication and increased understanding among our members and the wider community; to foster cooperation within and between faith communities; facilitate collaboration in areas of common concern and in response to the needs of our wider community; and to promote justice, peace and the common good in Western New York and the Niagara Peninsula of Ontario.
- VOICE-Buffalo – is a community of congregations and neighborhood groups across the Buffalo region dedicated to strengthening member groups and revitalizing Western New York, especially its distressed neighborhoods. VOICE-Buffalo supports issues, not candidates. The organization focuses on long term systemic change and trains leaders who become active in their congregations and communities.
Over the years, Unity of Buffalo has developed a special relationship with several wonderful organizations in our community:
- Massachusetts Avenue Proect (MAP) – nurtures the growth of a diverse and equitable community food system to promote local economic opportunities, access to affordable and nutritious good, and social-change education.
- Stitch Buffalo – a textile art center committed to: empowering refugee and immigrant women through the sale of their handcrafted goods, inspiring creativity and inclusion through community education, and stewarding the environment through the re-use of textile supplies.
- Claras Closet – provides gently used and sometimes brand new clothing, hygiene products and home goods to people who find themselves in need.
Collections for Clara's Closet are ongoing!
Items Needed (must be new & unopened):
- Soap (bar or liquid)
- Laundry detergent
- Dish soap
- Sanitary napkins (no tampons)
- Socks and underwear for children and adults (all sizes)
*Clara’s Closet is also in need of volunteers who are willing to spend a few hours once a week helping sort through donations and assisting clients with their selections.